2005 rough Idle and loss of power - Ford F150 Forums - Ford F-Series Truck Community.


2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2014   #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Default 2005 rough Idle and loss of power

Hello all
Joined the forum with hopes of getting my f150 running right so i can enjoy it like everyone else does. I have a 2005 Ford f150 with a 5.4 auto.

It has a rough idle(shakes the truck), very little power, and poor gas mileage. Randomly It will throw a code for misfire on 1 and/or 3 on start up only. It does seem to perform better within the first few of starting but dies right off after that. In fact i got stuck in the snow the other day and it could barely break the tires loose to try and get it out (almost put in 4low cause i didn't want to hurt the trans)

I have replaced:
Cats
Fuel pump
Plugs (motorcraft)
Random Coils
Did the timing chains and phasers
MAF
All new injectors
Intake gasket

Was at my mechanics and had a scanner on it and at idle the 1-4 cylinders are all show a negative cylinder contribution. But when you rev it up they all go to 0 across the board.

Was kind of thinking about the Variable Timing solenoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Spudy; 01-29-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #2  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Just might be the solenoid. Also, check all the vacuum tubes and EGR tube. The easiest way is with a can of carb and choke cleaner. With the engine running, start spraying the cleaner around. When the engine revs when you spray an area, there's a leak. Repair it and try another area.
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudy View Post
Hello all
Joined the forum with hopes of getting my f150 running right so i can enjoy it like everyone else does. I have a 2005 Ford f150 with a 5.4 auto.

It has a rough idle(shakes the truck), very little power, and poor gas mileage. Randomly It will throw a code for misfire on 1 and/or 3 on start up only. It does seem to perform better within the first few of starting but dies right off after that. In fact i got stuck in the snow the other day and it could barely break the tires loose to try and get it out (almost put in 4low cause i didn't want to hurt the trans)

I have replaced:
Cats
Fuel pump
Plugs (motorcraft)
Random Coils
Did the timing chains and phasers
MAF
All new injectors
Intake gasket

Was at my mechanics and had a scanner on it and at idle the 1-4 cylinders are all show a negative cylinder contribution. But when you rev it up they all go to 0 across the board.

Was kind of thinking about the Variable Timing solenoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
vct solenoid is stuck
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
vct solenoid is stuck
Replaced both vct solenoids still having same problem. Can find any vacuum leaks. Could I have gotten a bad cam phaser?
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudy View Post
Replaced both vct solenoids still having same problem. Can find any vacuum leaks. Could I have gotten a bad cam phaser?
No new codes? What does the vct error pid say?
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
No new codes? What does the vct error pid say?
No codes anymore.
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #7  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 20 to 30 minutes. Reconnect the battery and see if the problem is still present.
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Default

will give a try in the morning. Thanks
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Not any better :-(
Spudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14
Default

FYI, I'm having a similar issue. ANy thoughts?
mtbinva is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
idle issues after cam phaser job 2005 5.4 delta9ine 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 0 09-17-2014 02:46 PM
loss of electronics rsfield 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 1 09-18-2013 09:10 PM
Sudden rough idle issue Woodweav 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 3 04-18-2013 08:10 PM
5.4L Misfire/rough idle, white exhaust CRKodiak 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 1 03-03-2013 07:38 PM
power window problems - 2005 F150 pllckjsh 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 3 12-13-2011 11:27 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.