Off-Topic If it doesn't fit in anywhere else, post it here...

Giant non-native pythons ing across Florida

Old 01-07-2012
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 363
Default Giant non-native pythons ing across Florida



Giant Burmese pythons have already established themselves across thousands of square miles of Florida's Everglades, where outdoor workers now routinely find them. The state had held out hope that bays, inlets and open seas would form a natural barrier, keeping the non-native snakes, often discarded pets, from ing to the Florida Keys and beyond. But that might not be the case.

Research published this week finds that even newly-hatched pythons can survive in seawater for up to a month.

"The fact that this study has ruled out one of the most hoped-for forms of physical barriers, saltwater, as preventing the of invasive pythons in Florida puts even more onus on human action to prevent the of these damaging reptiles," U.S. Geological Survey Director Marcia McNutt said in a release. "This study demonstrates the distinct possibility that pythons could to new suitable habitats one estuary at a time."

Researchers with the U.S. Geological Survey tested the ability of 24 hatchling Burmese pythons that they had caught in the Everglades to survive given different types of water to drink. Some got fresh water, some brackish water (such as the slightly salty water found in mangrove swamps) and some full-strength seawater.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ida/52383352/1
Attached Thumbnails Giant non-native pythons ing across Florida-python_florida.jpg  
F150Roger is offline  
Old 01-07-2012
  #2  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

That's one big **** snake! I've seen several news reports and TV special on the infestation of invasive non-native species in North America. Texas has a huge wild boar (pig) invasion that is devastating crops and causing millions of dollars worth damage to land.
Purplehazeir is offline  
Old 01-07-2012
  #3  
KLC
On the Edge!

 
KLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by Purplehazeir View Post
That's one big **** snake! I've seen several news reports and TV special on the infestation of invasive non-native species in North America. Texas has a huge wild boar (pig) invasion that is devastating crops and causing millions of dollars worth damage to land.
In the last Sons of Guns episode they actually made a custom AR for a guy from Texas to use on wild boars.
KLC is offline  
Old 01-07-2012
  #4  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by KLC View Post
In the last Sons of Guns episode they actually made a custom AR for a guy from Texas to use on wild boars.
Saw that! I love Sons of Guns. There is some hype on the web about some issues with BATF that Will Hayden and Stephanie have. They lost their FFL and Vince ended up using his one FFL to keep Red Jacket in business. Now, Vince has left Red Jacket and is starting his own business. You can kinda see the tension and that Vince has not been happy in the shop lately.
Purplehazeir is offline  
Old 01-07-2012
  #5  
KLC
On the Edge!

 
KLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by Purplehazeir View Post
Saw that! I love Sons of Guns. There is some hype on the web about some issues with BATF that Will Hayden and Stephanie have. They lost their FFL and Vince ended up using his one FFL to keep Red Jacket in business. Now, Vince has left Red Jacket and is starting his own business. You can kinda see the tension and that Vince has not been happy in the shop lately.
Interesting, I can't say I am surprised about Vince though. Thanks for the links.
KLC is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
carid
Ford F150 General Discussion
0
12-03-2014 09:10 AM
Purplehazeir
Off-Topic
2
01-08-2012 11:02 PM
F150Roger
Off-Topic
1
11-12-2011 11:23 PM
2011FX2Crazy
Introductions
9
10-28-2011 08:30 PM
F150Roger
Media - Pictures & Videos
2
09-30-2011 06:51 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Giant non-native pythons ing across Florida


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.