brakes and turn signals don't work on boat trailer - Ford F150 Forums - Ford F-Series Truck Community.

Go Back  Ford F150 Forums - Ford F-Series Truck Community. > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Reload this Page >

brakes and turn signals don't work on boat trailer

2009 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the present generation Ford F150 truck.

brakes and turn signals don't work on boat trailer

Old 10-03-2011
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Unhappy brakes and turn signals don't work on boat trailer

I have a bass boat with surge brakes. I have power only and no brake lights or turn signals. I have traced it back to the truck. It is a truck problem. I get only running light power from the pigtail on the truck. I can't locate a bad fuse by using my manual. Help!

UncleRay
UncleRay is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #2  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
I have a bass boat with surge brakes. I have power only and no brake lights or turn signals. I have traced it back to the truck. It is a truck problem. I get only running light power from the pigtail on the truck. I can't locate a bad fuse by using my manual. Help!

UncleRay
You've checked it at the plug on the hitch with a multi-meter or a test light? Sometimes the sockets get dirty and need a good douche with an electrical spray cleaner.

Check the relays under the hood. There are two or three that are specifically for the trailer.
Purplehazeir is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default I don't think that is it.

I cleaned all female and male connections. But, the main clue is that only one of the metal flanges on the FordMoCo female connector has a positive for current. That connector is standard equipment on my F150 and before any after market adapter or trailer based connector is attached. So, the problem seems to be truck related.

Ray
UncleRay is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Kevin,

How can I tell if a relay is bad? Is the relay one of the square fuse types or the black solid electronics? I guess I could use a meter on them. But, which ones? Schematic helps some.

Ray
UncleRay is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #5  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
I cleaned all female and male connections. But, the main clue is that only one of the metal flanges on the FordMoCo female connector has a positive for current. That connector is standard equipment on my F150 and before any after market adapter or trailer based connector is attached. So, the problem seems to be truck related.

Ray
And you checked the relay in the engine compartment?
Purplehazeir is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

I am not that savvy about the relays. What and where? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what I am looking for and am afraid to mess with anything that I don't have a clue about.

Ray
UncleRay is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #7  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
I am not that savvy about the relays. What and where? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what I am looking for and am afraid to mess with anything that I don't have a clue about.

Ray
The relay/fuse panel is in the engine compartment. The lid comes off and will show you the relays. Relays 37 and 38 are for the trailer tow park and turn signals.
Purplehazeir is offline  
Old 10-03-2011
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Kevin,

I'll check relays 37 and 38 for trailer late tomorrow. I have to go to St. Louis to talk to Cardiologist tomorrow. That will take all day.

Ray
UncleRay is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
carid
Ford F150 General Discussion
0
12-02-2014 10:05 AM
Lbrooks335
1997 - 2003 Ford F150
3
06-24-2014 09:44 PM
VERDUN
Ford F150 General Discussion
2
01-05-2013 10:15 PM
F150_R
Media - Pictures & Videos
2
05-05-2011 03:12 PM
Trent
Off-Topic
19
01-29-2011 10:04 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes and turn signals don't work on boat trailer


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.