Headlights stuck on??? - Ford F150 Forums - Ford F-Series Truck Community.


2009 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the present generation Ford F150 truck.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2011   #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
2011FX2Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 29
Default Headlights stuck on???

I have a 2011 FX2 and my headlights and parking lights wont shut off even when I move the switch to off.

Anyone have any ideas?

I noticed last night that my lights were still on after we'd been home about 30 minutes. I went outside and turned the switch off and they remained on.

I ended up having to pull the rear parking, front parking, L headlight and R headlight fuses to get them to turn off for the night.

I checked it out today and I can't find anything obviously wrong...All fuses are good ect.

Tried to get it into the dealer before the holiday but no luck so it looks like no night driving until Monday.
2011FX2Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #2  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Sounds like a relay is sticking. Pull your owners manual and see which relay is for the headlights and parking lights and pull them. Reinstall and see if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the relays. If it doesn't it could be any number of issues, including the auto dimming function on your rear view mirror.
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
2011FX2Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehazeir View Post
Sounds like a relay is sticking. Pull your owners manual and see which relay is for the headlights and parking lights and pull them. Reinstall and see if the problem goes away. If it does, replace the relays. If it doesn't it could be any number of issues, including the auto dimming function on your rear view mirror.
I thought it could be a relay and so I went down and got two new ones but that's not it. I can feel the relays clicking on and off if I pull them in and out.

I think my auto headlamp module may have failed.

Thanks for the info tho.
2011FX2Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #4  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy View Post
I thought it could be a relay and so I went down and got two new ones but that's not it. I can feel the relays clicking on and off if I pull them in and out.

I think my auto headlamp module may have failed.

Thanks for the info tho.
Jesse...let us know what you find. The auto headlamp module can certainly be the bad guy as well. You may want to see if its still covered under warranty. Your truck isn't that old.
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011   #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
2011FX2Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehazeir View Post
Jesse...let us know what you find. The auto headlamp module can certainly be the bad guy as well. You may want to see if its still covered under warranty. Your truck isn't that old.
I'll keep you posted. I tried to get it in today but they were booked up so I'm going to shoot for Friday if they are open.

I sure hope it's covered under warranty... My truck only has 3500 miles on it lol.

2011FX2Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011   #6  
KLC
On the Edge!

 
KLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,375
Default

It should definitely be covered under warranty.
KLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
2011FX2Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 29
Default

UPDATE:

I took it to the dealer at 7am yesterday and at 11am they sent me home in a rental.

They replaced the headlight switch and SJB (which has the built in Headlight and parking light relays) and that did not fix it.

They have narrowed it down to a wiring problem in the dash harness and told me to look at three days repair time.

The Dealer explained to me that there are two relays for the 2011 headlamp and parking lamp circuits and they are built in to the SJB...so they cannot be replaced with replacing the SJB. There are also two more in the junction box under the hood which are the ones I previously replaced...

I'll update this further as I find out more.
2011FX2Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #8  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy View Post
UPDATE:

I took it to the dealer at 7am yesterday and at 11am they sent me home in a rental.

They replaced the headlight switch and SJB (which has the built in Headlight and parking light relays) and that did not fix it.

They have narrowed it down to a wiring problem in the dash harness and told me to look at three days repair time.

The Dealer explained to me that there are two relays for the 2011 headlamp and parking lamp circuits and they are built in to the SJB...so they cannot be replaced with replacing the SJB. There are also two more in the junction box under the hood which are the ones I previously replaced...

I'll update this further as I find out more.
Much bigger problem than expected, but sounds likes it going to be covered under warranty which is good news.

Keep us in the loop Jesse!
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
2011FX2Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehazeir View Post
Much bigger problem than expected, but sounds likes it going to be covered under warranty which is good news.

Keep us in the loop Jesse!
will do. yeah, I'm really disappointed with such a serious problem only 3600 miles in it. my wifes Expedition has 260,000 on it and we've never experianced an serious problem
2011FX2Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011   #10  
Senior Member

 
Purplehazeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy View Post
will do. yeah, I'm really disappointed with such a serious problem only 3600 miles in it. my wifes Expedition has 260,000 on it and we've never experianced an serious problem
Jesse....you just might have gotten one that had a little wire harness pinch during the assembly process. Better you found it now than later.
Purplehazeir is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater Fan Stuck on High makuloco2000 2009 - Present Ford F150 1 02-22-2016 01:19 AM
2005 F150 window stuck insurancepro 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 0 09-14-2014 10:34 AM
Headlights always on pdhay66 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 1 07-01-2014 08:52 PM
94-F150 Headlights & dashlights blink out C & J 1987 - 1996 Ford F150 2 03-07-2014 07:17 PM
Beware of seller on ebay selling 2013 oem f150 headlights allstarautolightsnorth anti_x_gravity 2009 - Present Ford F150 1 03-17-2013 10:48 AM


Tags
headlights, parking lights, wont turn off


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.